Thursday, January 11, 2018

2017 Cum Laude Albums part II

Hope you liked the first half (not ranked).  Again, these are not rank ordered.

Lorde   Melodrama

Much has already been said about this 21 year old New Zealander. It's a pretty damn good album.


  









Mothica   Heavy Heart


Originally from Oklahoma City, currently based out of Brooklyn NY.  







Mozart's Sister  Field of Love

According to Wikipedia:   Cecile Believe (formerly known as Mozart's Sister) is a solo project of Caila Thompson-Hannant from Montréal, Québec. It was established in 2011.


 








The Octopus Project   Memory Mirror

I spent a lot of time this year going through the very large list of artists playing SXSW.  One the things I learned is that there are a lot of terrific bands based in Austin.  This is one of them.










Otoboke Beaver  Love is Short

And now for something completely different.  From Japan.






Paramore  After Laughter

I first encountered this band in 2009 as the warm up for No Doubt.  I have enjoyed them ever since.  From Los Angeles.










Phoebe Bridgers    Stranger in the Alps


Also from Los Angeles. She is showing up on many "hip" end of year 2017 lists.







Rebecca Loebe  Blink

Ditto my comment on Austin, TX.









The Wrecks  We Are The Wrecks

From Los Angeles,  I really like this EP.  Expect to hear more from them.



 








XETAS  The Tower


Another band from Austin.







Zola Jesus  Okovi

Been following this super talented 28 year old singer from Phoenix for a while.  So good.









Maria Roate  As I Go

"Christian" genre singers rarely get my attention (most of it is syrupy crap).  But I really like this album. A lot.  Nashville, by the way.








Lights  Skin and Earth

One of the first shows I ever took Athena to was Lights, at the Varsity Theater.  Toronto based.









PVRIS  All We Know Of Heaven, All We Need Of Hell

I am surprised that this Massachusetts based band is not better known.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment