Monday, January 8, 2018

2017 Cum Laude Albums, part I

Here we go folks!   I have identified 87 albums that were released in 2017 and that I purchased and am giving my seal of approval to.  I am sorting them into Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude.  Time permitting, I will put a list of top songs. 

The usual disclaimers:  These are my rankings, based on my preferences.  YMMV.  Also, I don't care if most are female fronted.  There are few male fronted bands.  Can you find them?

The Cum Laude Album list is not rank ordered.


CUM LAUDE



Alice Jemima  - Alice Jemima

Without a doubt, I love female singers from the UK.  This year that will be quite evident.














Anna Tivel   Small Believer

From the great city of Portland, OR.  Love so many of the artists based there.








Annie Sumi   In The Unknown

Toronto is of course another favorite City.







 


Ariela Jacobs   Dare You to Run

Well, did you think I was going to ignore Australia?

 







The Big Moon    Love in the 4th Dimension

Enjoy this band from London.









Diane Barbarash River - Songs From the Poetry of Allison Grayhurst

Singer-songwriter from Vancouver.   Album inspired by the poet from Toronto.







The Dig   Bloodshot Tokyo

A cool band from New York City.




 







Duke York  Sincerely


This Seattle Based Band has been on the edge of my radar for years.  Made my list this year.



 






Epica   The Solace System

One of the very great symphonic metal bands from the Netherlands.  And near and dear since I saw them back in the day at Station 4  ( who remembers that place?).
Fantastic EP.












Feist Pleasure

This Calgary based singer came on to many people's radar via an Apple Commercial a decade ago.  But there is more to her than an Apple song.








Gabrielle Aplin  Avalon

At 25, she has become a mainstay on my list, as she continue to generate great music.  She does have that UK thing going.









Halsey   Hopeless Fountain Kingdom

It's unlikely we've heard the last from this New Jersey singer.  At 23, she is already headlining in large arenas.
 







Izzie Walsh  The Curse

Another UK singer.   I have understated how much I like her music.






Jordan Collins   Compartmentalize

From Spokane.  Quite under-rated.










MORE TO COME

No comments:

Post a Comment