Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Best of 2013, some honorable mentions

Originally,  I was going to post my top 10 for 2013.  But as gathered a list of prospects, it became clear that 10 would be tough.   So here is what I have decided to do:  I am going to post around 15 honorable mentions.  Then my top 25. Though, I only plan to rank order the top 10.

A few points:
First, these are my favorite songs from 2013.  I make no adjustment for general popularity.  So, if I have a song from an album that I love, it can make the list.  Even if very few people will have heard of it.   But a song that is super popular may not make my list even if I do happen to like it.  It needs to be among my personal favorites.   And anyway, my bias to provide whoever bothers to read this with music they may not be familiar with. 

Second, because they have to be songs I know, I am certainly omitting great songs and artists that I should know about, but do not. Or that I do know about but have not listened to much of their music.  And for that reason, my list is dominated by female artists and female fronted bands.  Why?  Because that is my preference in music.  I don't know why. Why do some people like rap?  Don't know (seriously, I don't).  But that is their preference.  They don't owe me an apology. And I make no apologies for my preferences.



OK,  so here it goes  (in no particular order).

Honorable Mentions:

Oh Land, that wonderful singer from Denmark has 2 honorable mentions.  I had the privilege of seeing her at the Varsity Theater this year.

Renaissance Girls



Pyromaniac




Daft Punk  "Get Lucky"  - I know almost nothing about this band.  But Colbert got me hooked.




Clairy Browne and the Bangin' Rackettes

Cool group from down under.

Love Letter.



London Grammar.
 Wasting my Years.  Don't know much about them either. But found this on this other end of year blog



In the world of symphonic metal, there are no bigger names than Nightwish (Finland) and Within Temptation (Netherlands).   Now, the former has a habit of canning lead singers, so it's a big deal when their original lead Tarja joins up with Within Temptation.  You get this.  Paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment